The five part series looking back on the best LPs of MPT’s 10 years concludes with the two most recent years.
1. The Chills – Silver Bullets (Fire) (review)
2. Low – Ones and Sixes (Sub Pop)
3. The Cathode Ray – Infinite Variety (Stereogram) (review)
4. STOOR – STOOR (STOOR) (review)
5. Wire – Wire (Pink Flag)
6. Robert Forster – Songs To Play (Tapete)
7. St Christopher Medal – Sunny Day Machine (Stereogram) (review)
8. Nap Eyes – Whine of the Mystic (Paradise of Batchelors) (review)
9. Waxahatchee – Ivy Tripp (Wichita/PiaS)
10. Sleater-Kinney – No Cities to Love (Sub Pop)
Perhaps not surprisingly I’m still pretty happy with this list particularly since 7/10 artists on the list make their first appearances in the Top 10, even if a couple of these are long term favourites.
Looking further down the list, I reckon it features the strongest #20 I’ve had – so a good year.
Not really but I’ll go with Andy’s omission from his 2015 list – Jeffrey Lewis and Los Bolts – Manhattan – which is definitely worthy of a Top 20 place.
|1 Kristin Hersh||Wyatt at the Coyote Palace|
|2 De Rosa||Weem|
|3 Kid Canaveral||Faulty Inner Dialogue|
|4 Wire||Nocturnal Koreans|
|5 Book Group||The Great Indoors|
|6 Bob Mould||Patch The Sky|
|7 Emma Pollock||In Search of Harperfield|
|8 Adam Stafford||Taser Revelations|
|9 The Filthy Tongues||Jacob’s Ladder|
|10 The Paranoid Style||Rolling Disclosure|
One thing I’d say though is it feels like a very safe list – perhaps it’s just the distribution of releases by my favourite artists but this list contains a lot of old (and not so old) favourites. There’s three debuts on the list but the Filthy Tongues have featured before with Isa whilst neither Book Group nor the Paranoid Style have been short of coverage in these pages over the last few years !
However, in terms of strength in depth, I think this is the best list so far – there’s LPs in the twenties that I’d heartily recommend.
Anyhow, here’s to 2017 (if we make it through it) and, in the shape of Welcome, Stranger! by the Blue Aeroplanes, there’s a very early contender for the number 1 spot in 12 months time.